Working individually, choose a sphere of online network culture that uses video to communicate ideas. Collect materials that exemplify the way in which this community or genre uses online video and edit together a clip compilation that explores their use of online video. Think about dialogues, conversations between participants and look for themes that are repeated in the video content you collect. There are many trends in video sharing that offer sometimes unexpected insights into the way in which people use networked communication technologies.
Your task is to identify a genre of YouTube/Vine, etc. video making and explore the way users of the technology present themselves and their interests by watching and collecting examples, looking for themes across the content you review. The work should be long enough to make a good job of exploring at least one key theme and you should provide a few sentences to introduce the piece that support your thinking and approach in the document you hand in to support it. The piece should be accompanied by a Word document (.doc) that gives a short explanation of your thinking, and a list of sources of videos and ideas in Harvard bibliographic referencing style that are included in the work, or support your topic. Continue reading “DAT 402 – Assignment Part 2 – Digital Spheres of Culture”
Working individually create a radiophonic sound work that responds to one of the pieces of class reading material. Select one idea from your chosen reading to explore through sound. The work should be long enough to make a good job of this and you should provide a few sentences to introduce the piece that support your thinking and approach.
Using the class sessions you should develop your sound work and mix it appropriately as well as explore the ideas in your reading. The piece should be accompanied by a Word document (.doc) that gives a short explanation of your thinking, and a list of sources of sounds and ideas in Harvard bibliographic referencing style that are included in the work, or support your topic.
Deliverables – your work should include these as minimum:
- A radiophonic response to one or a number of the key ideas in your chosen essay – 2-10 minutes long, exported as a 24bit Wav and uploaded to the DLE.
- High quality sound recording – made using microphone/soundcard setup
- The work should incorporate found sound/archival material from sources such as archive.org or the prelinger archive.
- The work should offer an exploration of sound and its effects through practice from your chosen essay
- The accompanying bibliography should incorporate information found through further research using the university library system
- It should be accompanied by a bibliography (Word document) that clearly credits your sources of information and sources of sounds (for example YouTube videos, etc.) in Harvard Referencing Style, guidance can be found here http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
Continue reading “DAT 402 – Assignment Part 1 – Sound & Recorded Media”