John Cage – 4:33 silence
During the first part of today’s workshop we witnessed a recreation of John Cage’s 4’33 piece, performed by our lecturer.
Following this, we were asked to make brief observations on the performance. These are mine:
- Listening to sounds coming from outside the room, listening to the sound of the projector
- The ‘lack of performance’ (sound) concentrated my hearing
- Observing our lecturer for any reaction as a result of the talk in the room
- I noticed that the noise level increased from silence at the beginning to quite a high level of chatter/questions towards the end of the piece
- We expected a musical performance. When we didn’t get what we expected, it caused confusion amongst some of the group
- Was the performance, in fact, the audience, rather than the lecturer?