The Brief: Time Bank Web Application
Your team has been contracted to produce an interactive web application, for a newly set up Time Bank.
Key timebanking principles are:
- People list the skills and experience which they can offer and those that they may need.
- Everyone’s skills are valued equally – one hour always equals one time credit.
- Everyone agrees to both give and to receive help, to earn and to spend their time credits.
- A record is kept of all the time credits earned and spent.
- Everyone is encouraged to spend their time credits to allow others the chance to make a difference and feel needed.
Continue reading “DAT 504 – Assignment – Time Bank Web Application”
The Brief: Python Webservice APIs
For the next practical exercise you must create an auto-tweet agent.
Your program should identify the most recent page viewed by your browser (by looking in either the “Current Session” or “History” file). It should then acquire the title of the page last viewed.
For example, the title of the Ebay main page is: Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay.
Your program should then tweet the fact that you liked the page:
I’m really liking Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles…
You’ll get more marks if you use the History file (it’s harder !) Include a loop so that it tweets about the most recent page every hour.
Continue reading “DAT 505 – Assignment Part 4 – Python Webservice APIs”
The Brief – Python Multimedia:
In the next practical you must create a graphical visualisation of a textual data file (to be given out in the practical). Read in the data and use it to generate some kind of visual output.
Rather than using Pygame to create your visualisation (which is powerful, but can be tricky to install), we will be using a library called graphics.py. This can just be dropped into your folder and used (no install needed). Continue reading “DAT 505 – Assignment – Part 3 – Python Multimedia”
The Brief – Python Chatbot:
In the practical session you will create an interactive Python chatbot. This should engage the user in interesting and intelligent conversation. The bot should be able to ask and answer questions. Try to make it as realistic and life-like as possible.
Continue reading “DAT 505 – Assignment Part 2 – Python Chatbot”
Using PhoneGap, you must create a “ratings” mobile app, focusing on a product or service of your choice. For example, you might choose: Hotels, Beers, Burgers, Restaurants, Shoe shops, or anything else that can be rated! Your mobile app should allow you to create a “rating card” for each item, with the following information:
- Unique ID for the item
- Name of the item
- Photo of the item
- Geolocation of where the item can be found
- Various item-specific categories (depends on the type of item you choose!)
- Overall rating (from 1 to 5 stars)
Continue reading “DAT 505 – Assignment Part 1 – Mobile App Development”
Working individually, choose a sphere of online network culture that uses video to communicate ideas. Collect materials that exemplify the way in which this community or genre uses online video and edit together a clip compilation that explores their use of online video. Think about dialogues, conversations between participants and look for themes that are repeated in the video content you collect. There are many trends in video sharing that offer sometimes unexpected insights into the way in which people use networked communication technologies.
Your task is to identify a genre of YouTube/Vine, etc. video making and explore the way users of the technology present themselves and their interests by watching and collecting examples, looking for themes across the content you review. The work should be long enough to make a good job of exploring at least one key theme and you should provide a few sentences to introduce the piece that support your thinking and approach in the document you hand in to support it. The piece should be accompanied by a Word document (.doc) that gives a short explanation of your thinking, and a list of sources of videos and ideas in Harvard bibliographic referencing style that are included in the work, or support your topic. Continue reading “DAT 402 – Assignment Part 2 – Digital Spheres of Culture”
Working individually create a radiophonic sound work that responds to one of the pieces of class reading material. Select one idea from your chosen reading to explore through sound. The work should be long enough to make a good job of this and you should provide a few sentences to introduce the piece that support your thinking and approach.
Using the class sessions you should develop your sound work and mix it appropriately as well as explore the ideas in your reading. The piece should be accompanied by a Word document (.doc) that gives a short explanation of your thinking, and a list of sources of sounds and ideas in Harvard bibliographic referencing style that are included in the work, or support your topic.
Deliverables – your work should include these as minimum:
- A radiophonic response to one or a number of the key ideas in your chosen essay – 2-10 minutes long, exported as a 24bit Wav and uploaded to the DLE.
- High quality sound recording – made using microphone/soundcard setup
- The work should incorporate found sound/archival material from sources such as archive.org or the prelinger archive.
- The work should offer an exploration of sound and its effects through practice from your chosen essay
- The accompanying bibliography should incorporate information found through further research using the university library system
- It should be accompanied by a bibliography (Word document) that clearly credits your sources of information and sources of sounds (for example YouTube videos, etc.) in Harvard Referencing Style, guidance can be found here http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
Continue reading “DAT 402 – Assignment Part 1 – Sound & Recorded Media”
Your task is to create a ‘splash’ webpage that self-promotes you and your professional practice. The web design must be built from scratch (i.e. not using a content management system) using:
- The structure of HTML elements
- Be aesthetically styled by CSS
- Contain a custom built contact-me form
Basic content for the webpage (text and imagery) will be provided by yourself. However, in consideration to global limitations on accessibility and bandwidth the page weight has been limited to 500k. Continue reading “DAT 404 – Assignment – Professional Practice Web Site”
In preparation for completing the assignment for DAT 404 (Web Technologies), we were tasked with investigating web site design and splash page design for our chosen professional practice and then mocking up a number of our own designs.
My chosen professional practice is the field of visual effects and, to that end, I took at look at the following visual effects provider web sites… Continue reading “DAT 404 – Web Technologies Assignment Preparation”
Brief: Your task is to link virtual and physical technology in an artistic, thoughtful, engaging and/or playful way. Create a system where a real object controls something on the web, or virtual data controls a real object. Be imaginative and creative and have fun. You might think of it as real-world data visualisation, or using physical objects to make a comment on virtual processes. Continue reading “DAT 406 – Assignment Part 1 – ‘Realising the Virtual’”